LinkedIn video advertisements work different than those on YouTube or Facebook, mostly because they are much more business oriented. LinkedIn ads can vary in length from 3 seconds to 30 minutes, but the sweet spot, according to LinkedIn, is between 10 and 15 seconds.
LinkedIn’s guidance is very clear based on those stats:
“• Keep videos under 30 seconds for brand awareness and brand consideration goals. A study by LinkedIn* found that videos under 30 seconds reported a 200% lift in view completion rates (Source: LinkedIn internal study, 2018).
• Test longer videos for demand generation. The same study found that longer form content drove as many clicks and views as shorter videos because they help tell a more complex product or brand story.”
Source: LinkedIn video ad tips
Based on this, developing a video marketing strategy is very clear. Use short videos that quickly get your name out. Especially looped content that can grab attention with “cliffhangers” that leads interested leads to your actual content, with rich stories, good content, and great visual quality.
LinkedIn clearly distinguishes between three categories for video content:
- Short (5-15 secs) cliffhanger content that encourages audiences to click
- Medium (30 secs) uses the first 5 seconds to raise a point, and the rest of the short clip to validate. Think, quick product overviews.
- Long (1-30 mins) well-written stories that are full of knowledge or emotional content. Think about true (short) stories, parts of seminars or webinars.
Source: Rainmaker LinkedIn page
When it comes to video advertisement on LinkedIn, there are a couple of things to keep in mind.
LinkedIn is a PC centric platform when it comes to its video content, even though 58% of its traffic comes from mobile. This means that video content on LinkedIn is still in a horizontal format. For desktop users, video content will keep playing (and make sound) when viewed on a LinkedIn timeline, so short videos can really grab attention, without upsetting users.
“• Layout: Horizontal (vertical videos are not supported)
• If a member unmuted the video in their feed on desktop and scrolls down immediately (in less than two seconds), the video will continue playing even if less than 50% of the video is visible on-screen.
• You can only upload videos from a desktop computer, not from your mobile device
• You cannot upload more than 25 Videos in Campaign Manager within 24 hours.”
Want to start exploring video marketing for your own LinkedIn page? Get in touch and let’s discuss: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How to conquer your LinkedIn audience in less than 15 seconds - October 21, 2018
- Take your marketing budget online, online ads surpass TV ads in 2018 - June 19, 2018
- Engage up to five times more customers with LinkedIn video - April 30, 2018
- Online video – serious business in 2018 - April 18, 2018
- Facebook’s live video attack on YouTube and Twitch streaming - April 16, 2018